If you’re struggling with debt, it can be hard to know where to turn. But with lots of free advice services available across the UK, you can find help in a way that’s best for you.
NEVER pay for debt advice. NEVER get drawn in to Companies offering to wipe off large junks of your debt.
How will a debt adviser help you?
A debt adviser will:
- never judge you or make you feel bad about your situation
- always be happy to talk to you, however big or small your problem might be
- find ways to manage your debts even if you think you have no spare money
- suggest ways to deal with debts that you might not know about
It’s a good idea to have all your information to hand before calling.
Including your income and expenditure, and details of all payments you are behind on.
If you have a budget, great! Make sure you have it with you.
The Money Advice Service
- 0800 138 7777
- Web chat Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm
- Saturday 8am – 3pm
- Free and impartial money advice, set up by government
- Advice and guides to help improve your finances
- Tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead
- Support over the phone and online
StepChange Debt Charity
- 0800138 1111
- StepChange Debt Remedy provides you with the expert advice, budget support and solutions to help you manage your debts.
- StepChange helps change the lives of thousands of people every week. Their expert advice is impartial and personalised to each individual situation.
- 0808 808 4000
- National Debtline offers free debt advice online through its My Money Steps tool and its web guides, fact sheets and sample letters.
- National Debtline has helped millions of people with their debts. They’ll talk you through options and give clear advice on how to take back control.
Debt Advice Foundation
- 0800 622 6151
- Debt Advice Foundation is a national debt advice and education charity offering free, confidential support and advice to anyone worried about debt.
- 0800 280 2816
- PayPlan online services include free, confidential online chat with debt help experts, a debt help request form, and a wealth of online resources.0800 280 2816
- PayPlan provides the debt advice and support to enable you to take charge of your finances and focus on living again.
Citizens advice Bureau
- Adviceline: 03444 111 444
- They also offer an online chat Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm
There may be other local services in your area. Information can be found on these at your local library or job centre.
Did you know?
Most people who have got debt advice feel less stressed or anxious and more in control of their life again